Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Seeing Ruth again


I went to see Ruth yesterday. She is the girl in the movie who was Kimani's main rival. It is just amazing to see how she's transformed. HBEF arranged to have her transferred to one of Kenya's best secondary schools. In fact, it is the school that Jane Wanjiru (Chris' cousin) went to. She said the school is much harder than her previous school. Her favorite subject is history, and she has transformed from an incredibly shy primary student to a glowing young woman. She asked if I could get her an English dictionary - which I'm off to buy today. But her English seems pretty fluent to me.

Then it was off to lunch at the Agip Café, which was our lunch spot of choice during the filming. Actually, it was one of the only choices. The place is awesome, they have a decent menu and are (always) out of everything except cabbage and rice. Yesterday they were out of rice, but did have beef stew - so I guess I was lucky.

The next stop was Kimani's mother's house. It hasn't changed a bit, but there are a few more little kids running around. Kimani's mom seems to be in good health, which is a relief. There are some pretty intimate things about their family in the movie, including a scene at the doctor's, which is a very private matter in Kenya. I wanted to prepare her for that, but she told me I worry too much! I really do wonder how the families are going to react to the film. I'll know pretty soon.

In other news, we've (sadly) ditched the "feed bag movie screen" idea and switched to sewing together some bed sheets. It is rainy season and we're all worried that the paint won't dry on such a big surface.

Here's some photos of Ruth and the Agip Café. (Agip is a gas station by the
way).

Photos: Jennifer and Ruth, Ruth at school, Agip Café.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I have just been looking for info approximately this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. However, what about the conclusion? Are you certain in regards to the source?
    Microfiber Quilt Set

    ReplyDelete